Search This Blog

Sunday 3 May 2015

Nigerian players lack quality to play for big clubs – Akwuegbu


Ben Akwuegbu
Ben Akwuegbu is one of Nigeria’s most well-travelled footballers. He plied his trade in France, Belgium, Austria, Germany, Greece, China, Switzerland and England.
Although he can hardly be regarded as one of the greatest (Nigerian) players in his generation, the former Nigeria forward deserves credit for helping African strikers gain attention from European clubs.
He was nicknamed Austrian Bomber by the Austrian media following his striking prowess at Grazer AK.
Akwuegbu scored remarkable goals for the Reds to fire them to the Austrian Cup and Austrian Supercup in 2000 and 2002 and the league title in 2004.
Akwuegbu found himself thrust into the limelight at 15 when he was selected for the Scotland ’89 FIFA Under-17 World Cup by coach Sebastine Broderick-Imasuen.
The Golden Eaglets crashed out of the tournament after losing 2-0 on penalties against eventual champions Saudi Arabia in the quarterfinals. Akwuegbu, who was one of the youngest players in the squad, did not see any action during the tournament.
Akwuegbu was promoted to the national Under-20 team, the Flying Eagles, after Scotland ’89, but was denied a chance to represent Nigeria at the continental and world Under-20 tournaments,   because FIFA placed a two-year ban on Nigeria from age-grade competitions following the age scandal involving Dahiru Sadi, Andrew Uwe and Samson Siasia.
The ban came after the Flying Eagles lost 2-0 to Portugal in the final of the 1989 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Saudi Arabia – the same year the Golden Eaglets featured at Scotland ’89. The ban was lifted in 1991.
The 40-year-old, who began his career at Jos outfit, Highlanders, was selected by coach James Peters for the 1993 Under-20 Africa Youth Championship in Mauritius. The competition also served as qualification for the 1993 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Australia.
Despite boasting the likes of Andrew Aikhuomogbe, Taribo West, Austin Okocha, Emmanuel Amuneke, Emmanuel Teberen, Tijani Babangida and Garba Lawal, the Flying Eagles crashed out in the group stages of the tournament.
Ghana defeated Cameroon 2-0 to win the trophy. Both countries represented Africa at Australia ’93, where Ghana lost to Brazil 2-1 in the final.
Akwuegbu, who was signed by French club RC Lens in 1991, still laments the Flying Eagles’ failure to qualify for the Australia ’93 finals. The Jos-born, who was playing for Belgian side SC Eendracht Aalst when he represented his country at Mauritius ’93, believes the Flying Eagles would have made a huge impact at Australia ’93 if they had qualified for the championship.
He spent five years in Belgium playing for SC Eendracht Aalst (1992-1993), Harelbeke (1994–1996), KSV Waregem (1996–1997) and KVK Tienen (1997–1998) before joining Austrian side Grazer AK in the 1998 season.
Akwuegbu admits he regrets leaving Lens after having spent a season in their youth team.
The retired player insists he would have blossomed into a top forward in Europe and commanded a regular starting role in the Super Eagles if he had remained at Lens to enable the club to harness his burgeoning talent.
“Leaving France for Belgium was big mistake; it affected my career,” Akwuegbu, who represented Nigeria at the 2002 Korea/Japan World Cup, told our correspondent on the telephone from his base in Austria during the week.
“I was the first Nigerian to move to France (at 17). (Nigeria coach) Stephen Keshi met me there. He joined Strasbourg from Anderlecht (in 1991).
“I would have developed into a big player and become an important player for the Super Eagles if I had played in the French league for at least three years.
“I was happy at Lens, and the club wanted me to stay. But my manager was greedy. He wanted money and   he sent me to Belgium.
“I regret the move, because it denied me a chance to play for a big club. If I had played for Lens for three or four years, I would have become one of the most-sought after players in Europe then. I could have played for the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid. I was blessed with great talents and good enough to play for the two clubs, but I had a bad manager. Playing for either of the two clubs could have   boosted my career. I believe in luck.
“While playing in Austria, I got an offer from (German outfit) Kaiserslautern, but my manager demanded a lot of money, forcing the club to withdraw their interest in me. I was really unlucky. If I had a good I manager, playing for Lens or Kaiserslautern would have provided me an opportunity to attract interest from the likes of Barcelona.”
Akwuegbu says he has no regrets not being part of the victorious Atlanta ’96 Olympic Games and France ’98 World Cup squads. His teammates at the Mauritius ’93 Africa Youth Championship formed the bulk of the squad for the two tournaments.
He said, “Nigeria had a lot of good players in the attack in the national team then. We had Finidi George,   Emmanuel Amuneke, Daniel Amokachi, Jonathan Akpoborie and Nwankwo Kanu. It was difficult for me to break into the team.
“I’m proud to have won silver for my country at the 2000 Africa Cup of Nations. I played in the tournament (co-hosted by Ghana and Nigeria). We could have won the tournament. No regrets at all.”
The FC Gratkorn (an Austrian Football First League side)   trainer has set himself an ambitious target – becoming the first African coach to win the World Cup!
“Having gone round playing football in different countries and different leagues, I know what football is all about,” the UEFA B coaching licence holder said.
“I played in the UEFA Champions League and Europa League. I represented Nigeria at Under-17, Under-20, Under-23 and senior levels.
“I played in the World Cup and in the Africa Cup of Nations. I’m currently working on my UEFA A licence.”
The former Panserraikos attacker added, “It’s true black coaches find it difficult getting jobs in Europe, particularly with the big teams. I’m hopeful.
“I will accept an offer to manage a big club in Nigeria. It will give me a chance to showcase my talents.
“I want to win the domestic league and the CAF Champions League. Most importantly, managing a club in the domestic league will give me a chance to teach our players how to play football.
“Many Nigerian players are stranded in Europe because they lack the basics of the game. They lack the quality to play for the big clubs.
“For any African player to make it in Europe, he must be three times better than the European players. If I’m given the opportunity, I will help our young players. We have talented players in the country. With good training, they will be playing for big clubs in Europe.”
The former China-based player, who ended his career in 2010 after a season at English Conference South club Basingstoke Town, is irked by the shabby treatment of ex-internationals by the country.
He said, “I didn’t gain anything playing for Nigeria for 18 years beginning with the Golden Eaglets.
“I think ex-internationals deserve some respect. In other countries, ex-internationals are celebrated and honoured. In Nigeria, we are treated shabbily.
“(Imo State Governor) Rochas Okorocha meant well when he appointed me as Assistant General Manager of Heartland. I’m happy he has been reelected for a second term. But some people regarded me as a threat to their roles in the club and worked against me.
“They didn’t respect me as an ex-international. It’s sad I was treated badly in my state. It’s a shame.
“It’s painful considering the fact that some of my teammates in the national team are playing major roles in the clubs owned by their states. Garba Lawal is the General Manager of Kaduna United while Tijani Babangida is occupying a similar position at Taraba United.”
Akwuegbu praised the Nigeria Football Federation President Amaju Pinnick for giving some ex-internationals an opportunity to attend coaching coaches in Europe.
He said, “I respect Pinnick a lot because he has respect for ex-internationals. He won my heart by giving Keshi another contract. I believe he will develop Nigerian football. We should all cooperate with him.”
The ex-Grazer AK urged the NFF to consider ex-internationals with good coaching or administrative records and experience for the job of managing the national teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of 9jaRoutes blog or any employee