Search This Blog

Thursday 1 October 2015

I can’t quit politics yet –Fasehun


National Chairman of the Unity Party of Nigeria, UPN Dr. Frederick Fasehun, has reaffirmed his leadership of the political group and denied reports he had quit politics.
Fasehun made this clarification when anxious members and officers of UPN stormed his Century Hotel office in Lagos, fol­lowing reports by a sec­tion of the media that their National Chairman an­nounced he had ended ac­tive politicking.
In a statement yester­day, Fasehun described as wrong and misleading insinuations that he an­nounced his resignation from politics and UPN during a speech he made lastSaturday at an event marking his 80th birthday in Lagos.
“I am a Democrat to the core. And I cannot just on my own say ‘bye-bye’ to politics. No! It will be a collective decision by my party and my associates,” Dr. Fasehun said in a state­ment made available to journalists yesterday.
“Although I turned 80 last week, I have been espe­cially blessed with a virile constitution, great health and sound mind. And it would be a disservice to God, humanity and the na­tion for me to be quitting active politics at this time.”
“What I actually said was that with the good age and health that God has blessed me with, I am counted as one of Nige­ria’s elder statesmen and I would be available hence­forth to provide non-par­tisan and cross-partisan direction for the benefit of nation-building,” he reiter­ated.
According to Fasehun, who is also Founder/Presi­dent of the Yoruba socio-cultural organisation, Oodua People’s Congress, OPC, some reporters pres­ent at the event apparently misinterpreted his speech.
Fasehun said: “Of course, I have no intention of heading UPN for life. In time, we shall work out a succession plan, but it will be in consonance with the authentic leaders of UPN.
“I count it an honour to walk in the footsteps of Chief Obafemi Awolowo and lead this legacy party. But I will not leave the party in crisis. We shall resolve all issues and settle the party into its historical role within the Nigerian political milieu. Thereaf­ter, the bonafide leaders and stakeholders in UPN will work out a succession plan. The particular time and place no one can say for now.
“What I said on Satur­day is what I have always said. I only reiterated the fact that at my age, Nigeria owes me no public office. I can neither accept nor serve in any public ap­pointment.”
UPN’s National Deputy Publicity Secretary, Hon­ourable Adeoye Jolaosho, said: “Everyone knows that the Nigerian Consti­tution stipulates an entry point for bonafide citizens to participate in politics, but the writers of the Con­stitution in their wisdom made no provision for an exit age.”
Moreover, Adeoye said, Fasehun at 80 years old was neither physically nor mentally infirm (a constitutional barrier for exempting a citizen from politics) to warrant him leaving the political stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of 9jaRoutes blog or any employee