Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 October 2015

Saraki: The public’s turn Posted By: Olatunji Dare

Saraki: The public’s turn
•Bukola Saraki in the dock
Not many of the columns posted in this space have drawn as many reactions as the most recent one (“Beyond the list,” October 6, 2015).
The part that seems to have resonated the most was the concluding paragraph, here reproduced for ease of reference:
“I am hoping that when the (confirmation) hearings get under way, at least one nominee will look Saraki in the face and say, ‘Senator, with all due respect to your office, you lack the moral integrity to sit in judgment as to whether I should serve on the President Buhari’s cabinet or not.  I cannot and will not submit to your authority in this matter.  I thank the President for the nomination, but must for the reason I have stated respectfully withdraw my name from consideration.’”
The reactions speak for themselves.  I am reporting virtually all the salient ones, edited for space and coherence.  My aim is not to advance a cause, but to share with the attentive public some sense of the balance of opinion in this corner on an issue that is likely to define, for better or worse, the Buhari administration and its commitment to enthroning probity in public life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of 9jaRoutes blog or any employee